At the beginning of the 20th century, the city of Weißwasser was one of Europe’s most important locations for the glass industry. In 1926, the local trade unions decide to finally fulfill their long-standing wish for their own community centre.
The design by architect Emil Lange is characterized by its multifunctionality. The first part of the building was erected in 1928, the grand opening followed in 1930. As the "House of German Labor", the National Socialists used the building to further their goals. It was not until 1952 that the Volkshaus returned to its original function and became the community centre of the Free German Trade Union Federation (FDGB).
In 2004, the house finally closes its doors for good. Various campaigns by the local friend’s association and several projects in the Bauhaus Year 2019 keep up the spirit. In April 2021, a fire destroys the 1950s annex, but the disaster also holds potential. By linking the People’s House, the Neufert Building, the Glass Museum and the Telux site, a new vision for the city opens up from its ow history.
- Görlitzer Straße 6 - 8, Weißwasser
- Emil Lange