The Kantor House
This unpretentious house was designed in 1933 by Heinrich Kulka, who was excluded from pursuing his career in the Third Reich and eventually immigrated to New Zealand via Great Britain. The owners of the house were Alfred and Karla Kantor. Alfred Kantor was a surgeon and senior consultant in the district hospital in Jablonec nad Nisou. This stern construction, plastered in grey, makes a downright sober impression on the observer. The interior, however, is surprisingly fitted with precious materials and has a very sophisticated design. The ground floor housed the private surgery of Alfred Kantor. The layout of the consulting room is particularly noteworthy. It had two separate entrances and exits, so that the patients did not have to go back to the waiting room but leave the house directly. Unfortunately, much of the original design has not survived. After all, the town was lucky to keep the house before it became a listed building because in the 1980s, the building was earmarked for demolition to make way for a newly planned road.