The Schmelowsky House
This striking house was designed in 1931 by Heinrich Lauterbach for Dr. Friedrich Schmelowsky and his wife. Heinrich Lauterbach had worked in Breslau since 1925, where he held a leading position at the international building exhibition WUWA (Werkbundausstellung Wohnung und Werkraum). He met the Schmelowskys in 1930 and granted their wish for a modern house which delivered their need for privacy. The house certainly makes quite a reserved and secretive impression with a customary glance from the street, yet its façade develops more and more expressionist features and carries many maritime-looking elements at closer inspection. The rounded roof houses the large, two-floored living room. The light falls in through a large glass window which overlooks the garden. The attic accommodates a spacious bedroom with a dressing room, a bathroom and a rooftop terrace; the basement used to include ancillary rooms. The Schmelowskys did not have children and lived alone in the house. It is today a listed building and is privately owned.