The Sacred Heart Church in Jablonec
This impressive Old-Catholic church was opened in 1931. It mimics the self-confident attitude of the local populace, whose shrewd business dealings created and maintained a period of strong economic growth. One can recognise this new sense of civic pride through the work of the church»s architect, Josef Zasche. Only a few years earlier, he had constructed the considerably smaller Old-Catholic Holy Cross Church in the Jugendstil. This new building from 1931 is a monumental brick building, which stands on hill, and leaves quite an impression with its straightforward design. The symmetrically constructed church seems to be composed of rectangular bodies that enclose an unpretentiously designed interior. An extensive wooden coffered ceiling creates the borderline for the white nave, which is complemented by two symmetrically aligned aisles. The powerful altar is only emphasised by a bronze statue of Christ by the sculptor Arnold Hartig.